(Click for much larger view.)
This map from 1889 shows what it referred to as "Sheppard's Addition" - an area just west of the Boulevard between Broad Street and Grove. A small portion of this area earned the name the "Devil's Triangle" in the 1980s because of its many rowdy bars. Notice the layout of the Soldier's Home to the south. This image is from “Atlas of the City of Richmond, Virginia and Vicinity,” published in Philadelphia: by G. William Baist, 1889.)
Thanks to VCU journalism student Alix Bryan, Richmond's Devil's Triangle neighborhood has received some publicity of late - all of it good. Bryant has done some fine reporting about the Devil's Triangle - visit this site for her interviews of local residents and her take on this neighborhood. Visit this blog on the neighborhood too.
- Ray B.