Image of the corner of W. Franklin and Laurel streets, looking East, ca. 1890.
On the right is the cast iron fence of the Ordway House which was moved to the North Side of Richmond in 1915 to make space to build the Monroe Park Terrace apartment building (now VCU's Johnson Hall). Just down the street on the right is a wooden fence marking the boundries of Monroe Park. On the left is the 700 block of W. Franklin Street - three houses stood on that block followed by
Park Place Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1886, destroyed by fire in 1966. VCU's Brandt Hall and Rhoads Hall occupy the spaces of those houses today. Notice the trolley on the left being pulled by a mule - GRTC buses still cross this route.
Postcard image of the 700 block of W. Franklin Street, opposite Monroe Park, ca.1910.
Google Map image of W. Franklin and Laurel Streets today.