Great image of the 700 block of W. Franklin St. looking east, ca. 1890s. Check out the horse drawn trolley zipping by on the left going down Laurel St. The three houses on the north side of the street demolished by RPI (now VCU) around 1966 to make way for the Rhoads Hall dormitory. There are now two dorms on that block (the other being Brandt Hall). The church seen in this image was Park Place Methodist Church built by 1886 - designed by architect Albert West. It was lost to fire in 1966. That is Monroe Park on the far right.
Google Maps image ca. 2012 of the 700 block of W. Franklin St. looking East.
About the only thing left from the 1890s are the stone curbing and Monroe Park.