Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Film of downtown Richmond from 1917 - Do you like this? Please comment and let us know.

 
This film can be found at this site.  It is just a few seconds and is part of a longer film - maybe a total of 5 minutes or less - created by the Ford Motor Co. in 1917.  So, this is a snapshot of downtown Richmond in 1917 - the year that the Richmond School of Social Work was founded. That school, headed by Dr. Henry H. Hibbs, Jr., grew into Richmond Professional Institute (in 1939) which merged (in 1968) with the Medical College of Virginia to become Virginia Commonwealth University.

We blogged about this online film site a year or so ago. I just came across this file on my laptop and thought I would post it. I am hoping to acquire the complete film - one without the "CriticalPast" watermark on the film. When I do, I will make sure its posted online.

So, do you like this film? Please let us know in the comment section below. And yes, I'm fishing for comments just to see if anyone is out there :-)

Thanks.

- Ray

14 comments:

Christine said...

I'm here! I can't get it much bigger, so it is hard to get a fix on what angle I am looking at and what buildings still exist. Maybe without the watermark... I love old films, I hope you can find more!

john m said...

Nice!

Bryan T said...

This is great!

Anonymous said...

I think the first part was shot from a tall building over looking Capitol Square. Then you see a bit of Broad St. then just for a flash you'll see a Policeman - he is standing in the middle of W. Franklin St. with the 800 block right behind him. lastly you see folks selling flowers on 6th street near Marshall.

- Ray

Anne said...

Love it -- especially the flower sellers on 6th street. Thank you for finding and sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Is that the fan district where the cop is directly traffic? Where is that corner?

Anonymous said...

It is at the corner of Laurel and W. Franklin St. Looking West.

- Ray

Anonymous said...

Oh this is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the entire file with narrative or a comparative film from today.

Anonymous said...

Hooked another. ;) Definitely liked the film!

Ken said...

Even if it wasn't our own town in 1917, it would still be cool. Especially enjoyed the smiling policeman with his own (non-Tardis) box.

Anonymous said...

that's my home town
Even though it is way before my time I love every moment about the film now I want to see more

History Replays Today said...

Super cool. Thanks,
On the first part I definitely recognized the building at 7th and Franklin at :29 of the video.

historyreplaystoday.org

Anonymous said...

I just located the digitized 1917 MCV Yearbook and found that my great uncle was in the graduating class that year--the first class to graduate from the 'new" MCV. So interesting to then find this film and see Richmond as he would have seen it