Click on image twice for larger view - John W. De Groot worked for the Richmond Times-Dispatch in the late 1930s as an illustrator and writer. He provided many of the illustrations for the TD's Sunday Magazine section at that time period. This issue, dated April 11, 1937, is courtesy of Richard Bland. For more images by De Groot just look at our side panel of topics we've discussed and click on his name.
The (James H.) Dooley Memorial Library,
Those early efforts did lead to the formation of a citizens’ campaign for a library in the 1910s and 1920s. As public support grew, City Council finally agreed to fund a public library.
’s first public library operated from 1924 to 1930 at Richmond 901 W. Franklin Street, the former residence of Major Lewis Ginter (1824-1897). In segregated Richmond African Americans could not use the library. In 1925 the city opened the Rosa D. Bowser Library for African Americans. Named for Rosa L. Dixon Bowser (1855-1931), a civic leader who was considered the first African American female school teacher in Richmond, the library was located in the Phyllis Wheatley Branch of the YWCA at 515 N. 5th Street.
When did Richmond's Public Library integrate?
- Ray B.