The 800 block of W. Franklin Street looking west.
Image is from Art Work of Richmond, published by W.H. Parish Publishing Co., 1897. The VCU Franklin Street Gym occupies most of the space on the left now. On the right, the first house closest to the frame is still extant - it is the Buek-Thurston House, 808 W. Franklin St., built for Charles E. and Sue Williams Buek, 1893-1894. The architect was Peter J. Lauritsen of New York City.
The street is unpaved. Most of the houses have wrought or cast iron fences. Numerous mounting stones for horse and buggies can be seen in front of many of the homes (they would often have the initial of the family's last name on the front of the stone).
Click on image twice for a Much larger view.
- Ray B.