Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Richmond 1919: A Book of Pictures and Stories

Please visit THIS SITE to learn more about this book and how you can help get this it published. From Ms. Snow's introduction

"In 1888, before streetcars ran in San Francisco or New Orleans, Richmond, Virginia built the first successful electric streetcar system in America. Driving the streetcar was my great-grandfather's job but his passion was photography and his camera rode by him on the streetcar route. I recently discovered nearly 3,000 photos and negatives that provide a rarely-seen visual record of life in the early 1900s.

Richmond has stories to tell  and the Stilson photos are part of that. I want Harry’s pictures to be seen, to be a learning tool and a way for Richmonders  to connect with who we were a century ago.To accomplish this, I've compiled oral histories of elderly Richmonders.  I wrote my first book, From a Richmond Streetcar, based on Stilson photos, which was released last January. My second book concentrates on the West Clay line, which included historic Jackson Ward, a neighborhood of African Americans and Jewish immigrants." - Kitty Snow.
Learn more about the Stilson photos HERE.  Great images - be sure to check that site out.

Her first book of Stilson photographs is available to purchase HERE.

- Ray.

No comments: